Nowadays it’s not uncommon to see professional athletes using Pilates to step up their game and transform their body, and there is a good reason for this. During World War II, Pilates was used to help rehabilitate soldiers because of its low impact nature and its ability to help a person recover from an injury. For beach volleyball players, Pilates is an excellent way to become a more efficient player as it helps improve your balance, strengthen your core, and can help build stamina – all of which is needed out on the court.
Pilates is excellent for both the body and mind, and should be incorporated into an athlete’s training. If you are looking for a new way to train, learn more about the benefits of Pilates and learn why you should add Pilates into your workout regime.
1. Pilates is a workout that you can do anywhere and at any time once you have the movements down and requires no bulky, expensive equipment.
2. Pilates can help improve strength, flexibility, and body awareness as it puts emphasis on the mind-body connection.
3. Pilates will make you more mindful of your body movements, which can help improve your execution out on the court.
4. Pilates is a low impact exercise when performed correctly, which means you are less likely to damage your body during the exercise.
5. Pilates prevents impact on the joints and will strengthen the muscles around vital areas, which can help prevent overuse injuries from occurring.
6. Pilates is an excellent way to strengthen your core, which is vital to any athlete. Plus, having a strong core will help you move more efficiently and can help increase both power and speed.
7. Pilates is an excellent way to develop and hone your concentration skills, which can help keep you calm and cool in high-pressure situations.
8. Pilates puts an emphasis on proper breathing techniques by teaching the thoracic breathing technique, in which the student learns how to breathe through their abdominal cavity and diaphragm.
9. Pilates will teach you how to concentrate on the breath and can help improve lung capacity.
10. Pilates breathing technique, the thoracic breathing technique, can help stabilize the spine and can help strengthen your core.